Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Need to Know Everything


Hi Puzzlers,

It still amazes me how educational puzzles are. I always relate a puzzle with fun, relaxation and bonding time with my daughter. The educational aspect of puzzling rarely enters my mind except when I am asked a question such as, “What are the State Bird and Flower of Hawaii?” Yeah, I know-a strange question from a 13 year old, but Hawaii is her “have to go” spot. And, showing her friends her Mom does NOT know everything is fun for a 13 year old!

Now, I could have looked it up instantly on the Internet but remembered I had the State Bird & Flowers puzzle in the trunk of my car. I always keep a few puzzles in my trunk, along with catalogs, for people I meet who don’t know about our puzzles.

I ran out to the car, got the puzzle and came back in announcing loudly “The state bird of Hawaii is the Hawaiian Goose and the state flower is the Yellow Hibiscus. See-I do KNOW EVERYTHING!” Much laughter ensued and we all began looking at the puzzle. The girls then proceeded to quiz each other to see who could remember the most. All I could remember was that New Hampshire’s State flower is the Lilac.

Soon popcorn was popping, ice teas were in hand and the puzzle pieces were being sorted. Each girl picked a state and tried to find the pieces for that state. Once they got it done they loudly announced in a mimicking voice, “The state bird for Montana is the Western Meadowlark and the state flower is the Bitterroot! See I KNOW EVERYTHING!” It always got a laugh.

Ahh! What a fun educational night!

Happy Puzzling!

P.S. Now I make sure I have puzzles like Trees of North America or State Flags & Capitols on hand just in case I need to know EVERYTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment