Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Baseball Parks


Hi Puzzlers,

It’s official baseball season and many of you may be cheering or jeering. I personally am in between. I am not a die-hard fan but I know a few of the players, watch the World Series and enjoy a day at the park.

The day at the park is definitely my favorite. The closest official ballpark to New Hampshire is Fenway Park, which is home to the Red Sox and the Green Monster, or “Monsta” as they say in Boston. Fenway is also the oldest ballpark in the country! It opened in 1912 on the same day the Titanic sank!

I can remember my first time at the park and how fun it was strolling down Yawkey Way. During the games half the street is closed off to traffic and lots of vendors line up selling all kinds of goodies. It’s like a giant street party with music playing, food everywhere and thousands of happy people enjoying the day.

I have yet to go to the new Yankee Stadium in New York. My husband has been a Yankees fan all his life and you can well imagine the taunting he gets from every one in our family for being a traitor. Yes, they are all Red Sox fans. But I so enjoy the parks I can’t wait to go and check this one out. The new stadium was opened on April 16, 2009 boasting new wider seats and more legroom. Most seats even have cup holders.

Next on the hit list would have to be the second oldest ball park in the country, Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs, which opened in 1914. It went under several different names until 1927 when it was renamed after the Cubs owner William Wrigley Jr., owner and founder of Wrigley Chewing Gum Company. Hmm… Baseball and chewing gum- did that get started here?

Those are my top three - enjoy the season!

Happy Puzzling!

No comments:

Post a Comment