Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April Showers Bring May Flowers


Hi Puzzlers,


I have to say that I have had my fill of winter! The shoveling, sanding and salting are back breaking duties that have to be done for what feels like an eternity. Yes, I know I am being a bit dramatic, but after six months of snow I am ready to bury my snow blower and shovels. And let's not forget about the roof rake-you know that handy little item with a ten foot handle designed to “easily” remove snow from your roof. Ha! Let me tell you there's nothing easy about it!


In an effort to sway or ease my impatience, Jill at the office mentioned how important the snow is at this time of year. Apparently, snow in the spring is loaded with nitrogen and has been called "poor man's fertilizer." I think if I had a garden that informative tidbit would have had a better effect, but I am ready for the April showers that bring May flowers! Well, impatience doesn’t pay and Mother Nature must have had it out for me and my continued whining, because on April 1st, yes April Fool’s Day, she blasted us with six inches of snow!


In a manic frenzy, not knowing what else to do, I continued to sing "April showers bring May flowers." After repeating this for several days I began to wonder where this rhyme came from. Clearly the author must have felt desperate too. It turns out a man by the name of “Thomas Tusser compiled a collection of writing he called A Hundred Good Points of Husbandry.”


In the April section is where you will find “ Sweet April Showers, Do spring May flowers,” it was a poem. Wow, what a man, I thought. He wrote a book on being a good husband, uncommon for the times (1557). Jill at this point is rolling on the floor laughing hysterically and I am completely baffled. What is she laughing at? To my embarrassment, husbandry is the act or practice of cultivating crops and breeding and raising livestock, NOT being a good husband.


Okay-lesson learned. Good things come to those who wait. But I think some puzzling distraction will make the waiting easier to accept. So, if you are like me you might want to practice patience by distraction too.


Happy Puzzling!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with spring fever where do you live?? We have gotten some wonderful spring days but because we live in Colorado Springs we still get cold winter weather till May. we are so dry here  any sort of moisture is always welcome. Well home to write more later thanks for your blogging peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least in Colorado in april and May we will get some warm days and because we are dryer it seems warm at 60 and above/

    ReplyDelete