Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Plastics and Paper



Hi Puzzlers,

Today I would like to share with you what I just learned concerning plastics. My lesson on plastics began last week when I went out to buy a few groceries. As I made my way to the checkout counter the clerk asked if I wanted paper or plastic? Wouldn’t you know it I left my reusable bags in the car. I quickly said, “plastic”. (Yes, I always recycle. I’m the nutty person you see on the beach chasing after the plastic bag that’s flying all over the place.) Once home I started to unpack my groceries with the help of my sister-in-law, Mary Beth. MB as we call her, is an environmental activist who stays up-to-date on all news regarding the environment.

She asked me why I hadn’t used my own bags. I said, I had forgotten them in the car…again. She makes her best MB disapproval face and says, “I bet you didn’t know plastics can only be recycled a few times and then they go to the landfills or float out to the Great Pacific Ocean Garbage Patch, paper is a better choice.” No, I didn’t know that I said and what is a Great Pacific Garbage Patch? She runs out to her car and gets me some information on plastics and the great patch. (Now I know why I fit so well into my husband’s family, we all keep everything in the car.)

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch stretches across hundreds of miles in the North Pacific, technically it links the Eastern Garbage Patch with the Western Garbage Patch. “Unlike most other trash, plastic is not biodegradable — i.e., the microbes that break down other substances don't recognize plastic as food, leaving it to float there forever. Sunlight does eventually "photodegrade" the bonds in plastic polymers, reducing it to smaller and smaller pieces, but that just makes matters worse. The plastic still never goes away; it just becomes microscopic and may be eaten by tiny marine organisms, entering the food chain.” Eventually this food chain makes its way to us…feel like fish tonight? Yuck!

Paper on the other hand breaks down into organic matter after many, many years. This fact alone, for me, makes paper the better choice when you’ve forgotten your own reusable bag. The Greenfeet blog has a great post on Paper vs. Plastic click here to read it.

Happy Puzzling!

No comments:

Post a Comment