Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Flags of the World





Hi Puzzlers,

As I made my way to work today I kept noticing flags. Flags at the post office, flags flying high on the school flagpole, our company's “open” flag hanging in front of our store entrance. Once inside the office building I made my way to my desk only to find our Flags of the World puzzle had been left there. I began to wonder what was in my morning coffee? Why all the flags? Are the powers that be inspiring me to do a post on flags? All this nudging has certainly peaked my flag interest. How about you?

For over 4000 years people from all corners of the globe have been using flags. They are even study scientifically. Vexillology is the scientific term; it comes from the Latin word vexilloid which means, “guide”. Ancient vexilloid were made of wood or metal polls with carvings on top. Two thousand years later people started adding fabric and decorative metal to the tops. These ancient vexilloids closely resemble the flags of today.

Flags are generally used to give others information. Medieval Knights dressed head to toe in armor would use flags to identify themselves; this enabled fellow soldiers to see if they were friend or foe on the battlefield. Every country in the world has a flag and as the governments change so do the flags.




Designing a flag is no easy task. The message and information has to be understood without using many pictures or any words. Each flag color has a special meaning: Red - danger, revolution, bloodshed of war, courage, power: White - peace, surrender, truce: Orange - courage, sacrifice: Green - safety, land, youth, hope: Yellow - caution, gold: Black - mourning, death.




Also, there are five basic principles of flag design: 1) Keep it simple - so simple that it can be drawn from memory: 2) Meaningful Symbolism - colors, images, or patterns need to relate to flags symbology: 3) Basic Colors - Limit the number on the flag to three contrasting colors: 4) No Lettering or Seals: 5) Be Distinctive.

“Today the American flag consists of thirteen horizontal stripes, seven red alternating with 6 white. The stripes represent the original 13 colonies; the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag are symbolic as well: Red symbolizes Hardiness and Valor, White symbolizes Purity and Innocence and Blue represents Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice.”

I think what I have learned most in my quick study of Vexillology is to make every little thing I do or say count and mean something…just like a flag.

Happy Puzzling!

No comments:

Post a Comment