Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Postcard Collecting



Hi Puzzlers,


Take a look at our newest puzzle, Travel Dreams. It is loaded with postcards from across the globe. I just have two words to say about it, “LOVE IT”! Okay, you’re right, I always have tons to say so keeping things brief is hard. But the topic of postcards is so interesting I just have to share it with you. As a child, I was fortunate enough to receive postcards from friends who were on vacation. For me getting anything in the mail was exciting enough but holding that card with the picture of a fabulous location on the front and a hand written message, “just for me” on the back was mesmerizing. I even found the stamps and postmarks intriguing. Images of Yogi Bear hand stamping my Yellow Stone National Park postcard with the help of Ranger Smith and Boo-Boo Bear danced through my head. I stored all my cards in photo albums and would often look at them and imagine that I too was off exploring the world. I learned years later that collecting postcards ranks third among the most collectable items worldwide.


The study and collection of postcards is formally called deltiology. In 1869, Dr. Emanuel Herrmann introduced the postcard concept to the Hungarian government, which would approve his idea by the end of the year. Its approval paved the way for the first printing of the world first common postcard, in 1870. It featured a historical image of the Franco-German War.


Prior to 1893 postcards were meant to serve as advertiser only, not as a souvenir. The first intended souvenir postcard went on sale at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Because it was privately printed it required a two-cent, letter- rate postage, while government printed cards only required a one-cent postage rate. On May 19, 1898 Congress authorize an act which allowed card publishers to receive the same postal rate as the government. All cards printed with "Private Mailing Card Authorized by Act of Congress on May 19, 1898" would receive the special pricing.


This act significantly increases the popularity of the postcard. During this time you could only write on the front of the card. Yes, you had to write over the picture, how unthinkable! Luckily the U. S. Government in 1901 gave publishers the ability to remove the authorization inscription of the 1898 act and allowed them to print the words “Post Card” on the cards undivided back side, leaving the front for the design only. The divided back was formally approved in 1907. It allowed for personal messages to be written on the left side while the right side was reserved for the address.

Postcards are so much fun to collect and apparently they are a good investment as well. Some sites claim that postcards are the number one selling item on eBay, commanding hundreds even thousands of dollars per card! Click here to check out the Uncle Sam Hold to Light Santa Claus postcard selling for $1,100.


But I’m so attached to all of mine I couldn’t bear to part with any of them. I am strictly a collector. All this postcard-collecting banter gets me wondering what the White Mountains Puzzles postcards and puzzle postcards will be worth in 100 years…you never know!


Happy Puzzling!

1 comment:

  1. I am interested in several points in this article. I have had to put on my thinking cap to take in and consider some of this original thinking. Thank you for sharing this useful information.

    ReplyDelete