Monday, September 13, 2010

Wishful Thinking


Hi Puzzlers,

Wishful thinking is a gift from the heavens. Most of us experience it when we buy a lottery ticket and our mind wanders to the, “What if I won?” mode. We fantasize about buying lots of stuff and vacationing at exotic locations or hiring a chef, maid and butler. (Okay, no butler for me, but definitely a maid to do the cleaning and laundry). So you can imagine my surprise when this happened to me as I followed the bus to my daughter’s first cross-country meet.

My parental brain took over and made me delirious as I thought of all the possibilities for her future success as a runner! Make way, Sports Legend puzzle-here she comes! I imagine her winning every high school cross-country meet in our area, and then it’s on to the state championship. My delusions continue as I visualize her winning and winning and winning through the next four years of high school. Records are smashed under the force of her feet. The scholarships from Harvard, Yale and Princeton are pouring in, offering her more and more if she signs with them.

Next it’s on to the Olympics! (I warned you I was delusional!) Look out Lynn Jennings she looking to break all your American records. I call Memere (French for Grandmother) and say “Did you see her on the box of Wheaties, and don’t forget to tape the Nike and Pepsi commercials she’ll be starring in.”

We come to a grinding halt and park next to the other fourteen buses. As I watch all 75 pounds of her exit the bus I get filled with pride from the fact she has the fortitude to do this, and I laugh to myself wondering how many of the other parents were thinking the same thing.

Happy Puzzling!

No comments:

Post a Comment