Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Country Fairs


Hi Puzzlers,
I love this time of year when the weather cools down a bit and the leaves begin to change color, highlighting our beautiful mountains. The kids are back at school and life goes back to being very structured- well at least for me. I know for some that structure equals boredom but to save you from that boredom there’s always the good old country fair!

Country Fairs- Oh I’ve died and gone to heaven! How I wait so impatiently every year for the fairs to begin. There is just something about a fair I find hard to resist. I go and eat like I’ve never eaten fried dough, sausage subs, blooming onions and French fries before. My husband just shakes his head and laughs at my total and utter loss of control as I shove as much fair food into my mouth as I can, destroying my year’s worth of healthy eating in a single day.

I stroll the barns, sneezing up a storm, looking at all the livestock and farm equipment. I make my way past all the vendors selling their wares, stopping occasionally to watch the slicing and dicing of the latest new kitchen gadget I’ve gotta have. I stop at the midway to play a few games, jumping up and down like a crazy person when I win the tiniest of toys.

Next it’s on to the entertainment -you know-the horse and ox-pulls. I must say the skillet throw cracks me up every year, though I do suspect there is an art to throwing the skillet the furthest. Then there are the old-time performers blasting out tunes I haven’t heard since the 70’s or before. Oh wait! I’m not that old! Now it is on to the woodsmen with ax throwing and sawing stuff up. Talk about skill, one slip and you’re a goner.

By now I’m feeling like I need to sit but I continue to stagger through the crowds. I watch the people and wonder where they all came from. Are they as addicted to it as I am? Have they tried the baked stuffed potatoes at the Elks booth? How about the out of this world blueberry cobbler from the church? When I come to I find my husband has me seated at the horse track! Yee Ha- let the fifty-cent betting begin!

Happy Puzzling!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I loved your description of your fair experience! Who could not relate to that? How about the log rolling and the butterfly house? Or the antiques building which now posts a sign saying "no picture taking!" (I think it was me that provoked them to post that sign!)HA! You didn't mention the salt and pepper ride...guess that wouldn't be a good idea after gorging on that blueberry cobbler and the big stuffed tater! Ooohhhhhh! It's a good thing they haven't posted "no picture taking" in the swine house,yet! If they only knew, they might end up featured in yet another wild and crazy puzzle design from me! This little piggy went to market and this one ended up in a puzzle by White Mountain!

    ReplyDelete